Tuesday, April 28, 2009

David's Will

Once I got moved into "The Alamo" Mary XTC moved in down the hall (back from Wichita Falls again), Brooke H across the hall, Frank next door, David at the end of the hall, Paul Haggard (Mary's producer from OK) also moved in. So we all lived up there and watched out for one another. It was a party ongoing. David had a new roommate by this time named Patty. He met her at Toni & Guy. That is where he got a job once he realized he was well enough to work. As the months passed though, David's health deteriorated significantly. He was getting really thin and had a cancer growth in his mouth the size of a walnut. He was real short of breath and had a hard time getting up stairs. I went to the hospital with him a couple of times and met a couple of his doctors. They were really nice and seemed to like him a lot which came as no surprise since everyone loved David. One day on the way home from somewhere David asked if he could talk to me for a minute. So I pulled his car into the back parking lot of our apartment complex and turned off the ignition. He said he didn't want to hurt me but he had something he wanted to tell me. I said, "What is it?" He then told me he didn't know how long he could continue hanging on with his health declining. He said that feeling the way he did was not "living" anyway and that he'd decided that he was going to take his own life. I started crying and thought about trying to talk him out of it. Then I remembered how strong willed he was and just told him I didn't want him to do it. Then he asked if I would go to the Resource Center and sign his Will so that I would get all of his belongings whenever this happened. We went a few days later and he brought it out to the car and I signed it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow.

    I'm fortunate that I've always been oddly comfortable with my own death thing. I know when my time comes it will more than likely be by my own hand. It may be cancer, ALS, or what have you but I will know when my quality of life takes a turn for the worse.

    I've watched far too many loved ones struggle to live only to die a slow, painful death.

    ReplyDelete